Hi buddies today we are going to learn how to install DotNetNuke. Before we proceed in it, you must have the idea of what is DotNetNuke and why we use it .
DNN Platform (formerly “DotNetNuke Community Edition” content management system) is open source software that is intended to allow management of websites without much technical knowledge, and to be extensible through a large number of third-party apps to provide functionality not included in the DNN core modules. Skins can be used to change the look of a website using DNN.
There are two commercial editions of the software with increased functionality compared to DNN Platform, and technical support. The DotNetNuke Professional Edition was introduced in February 2009 with version 4.9 and the most recent version 7.0 was released in December 2012. In July 2013, DotNetNuke Professional Edition was renamed Evoq Content.In addition, DotNetNuke Enterprise Edition was renamed Evoq Content: Enterprise.
One Click Installation
The Installation Wizard provides a simple process for installing DNN and creating the first DNN website. The Installation Wizard displays a single form to enter the username and password for the SuperUser account, select a template for the first site and then either select the default database setup or setup custom database options. Once the installer opens in the web browser, it will auto-detect the web browser language and switch to that language. If the language isn’t part of DNN Installer pack then installer will remain in English. The new sites management tools will also show in the chosen language once the site is installed.
Administrative Information section :
Enter the information for the SuperUser Account. This user can access all sites created within this installation. We recommend using a strong password, for example: at least 7 characters long and including a mix of letters, numbers and symbols.
1. In the Username text box, enter a user name for the SuperUser. The default value is host.
2. In the Password text box, enter a password for the SuperUser account.
3. In the Confirm text box, re-enter the password for the SuperUser account.
4. In the Email Address text box, edit the sample email address.
Website Information section:
1. In the Website Title text box, enter a title for the website.
2. At Template, select the site template (pages and content) to be used for the first website
3. that is created from these options:
4. Blank Website: Select to create the first website without using a template. This creates a site without any pages or content pre-added.
5. Default Website: Select to create a small sample website that provides useful information, movies and links on how to get started building the website. This template is available in a several languages. If a template in a language other than English is selected, then the language pack for the chosen language will be installed on the site and this language will be set as the default site language.
Database Information section :
Configure the settings used by DNN to connect to a database.
DNN is a content management system that uses a database to store the site information. Use the details given by the provider if DNN is being installed in a “Hosting Account”. At Database Setup, select one of the following options and complete the associated settings:
Default: This option is recommended when installing DNN on a local system. If this option is selected,
click the Continue button.
SQL Server Express File:
1. In the Server Name text box, enter the Name or IP Address of the computer where the Database is located.
2. In the Filename text box, enter the name of the Database File (located in the App_Data Directory).
3. Optional. In the Object Qualifier text box, enter a prefix to use for all database objects. This is helpful for avoiding object name clashes. Note: The Object Qualifier must start with a letter and be no longer than 50 characters.E.g. dnn_
4. At Run Database As, mark the Database Owner check box if the SuperUser is running the database as the database owner – OR – unmark the Database Owner check box to run the database as the User ID specified.
Fill all the required information and Continue button to begin the installation process which typically takes around one minute. Click the Visit Website button to open the new site and view a range of helpful getting started resources.
Note: When installing the DNN database on SQL Azure, the connectivity from DNN application may be slower. This occurs because SQL Azure is a cloud service and the latency between the database and the application is increased.To avoid a timeout error during DNN installation, it is recommended that the http timeout (System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out) in the Web.config file is manually increased. This is done by adding an executionTimeout setting under httpRuntime prior to installation. Note: Keyword “executionTimeout” is case-sensitive. In the below configuration setting, a value of 900 indicates 15 minutes which is more than enough for any installation. It is recommended that this setting is removed once installation is complete.
Referenced : DNN Platform 7.3 SuperUser Manual
Get Free Weekly Updates
Get Weekly Email on latest blogging Tips & news from Stackbuddy.